OFFICIAL TYLER THE CREATOR-YONKERS SPOOF (SQUIRTERS)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Best Week in Comedy Ever!!!

Hello, Terry Jones friends and fans, this is the news you have wanted to hear all weekend. Since you guys seem to enjoy when I blog, and share my experiences, this is one you'll love. So this past weekend, I got a chance to open for Damon Wayans. It was without a doubt the best week I ever had in my comedy career. From Thursday to Sunday, I got a chance to work with someone I grew up watching on T.V.(seems to be a trend I know) it was fun.

Wednesday I got a call from the Improv asking if I could work the Damon Wayans weekend. And I said I can do everyday except for Thursday, due to me having a headline show at Robert Morris University. I was told that I’d have to do all the days, so I was flustered. I called to confirm the RMU show, and I let them know I was going to double book for Thursday. So I call back, and confirm that I can do all the shows.So now I'm stressing over the fact I’m double booked, and having shows 30 minutes away starting around the same time. So Thursday comes and I head to the Improv early, it's packed inside for a Thursday.


So Damon Wayans, his daughters, and his son Damon Jr. all come in the club. I talk to Damon Jr. for a minute and get a feel for his personality. He was a real cool guy, kind of reminded me of someone I would hangout with.After talking to him, and getting his credits (So that when i introduce him I can say "you've seen him on this show, this movie, and etc) I head to the green room. And I go to see what Damon Wayans wants me too say, and I must say he was one of the coolest people ever. Not fun cool, or goofy cool, but just a smooth guy, you know? He told me what he wanted me to say, and time for Showtime. He asked "Is the show about to start?" I replied yeah we're about to start, and he said "do your thing brotha," which I found to be thoughtful.So I go up and I perform and I have a great set, and Damon Wayans Jr. comes up next and kills it, and then his Dad does the same. Damon Jr. says to me, "I think we tag together well on this show." Damon Wayans Jr. was amazing, keep your eyes open for him. But I agreed with him. After the first night I head right out to Robert Morris, and to my luck the show got set back an hour so I made it on time.


I had so much fun; it was the best college show I ever performed at. It felt good coming from a great show, to go to a great show.Friday comes and the day starts off good, I got a chance to see my baby twin nieces, Bobby and Charley. They always start off my Fridays with a smile and inspiration, so it was good. Then it was Showtime again, this time I brought my DVD's with me. Especially since I don't have to rush to another show afterwards, and I would now have time to sell them. So I ask Damon Jr. if he thinks its ok to sell merchandise, he makes the "I'm not sure" face. And he tells me to ask his Dad. So I head back to the Green room, knock on the door, and the door opens. I say hi and I ask if it would be ok to sell merchandise at the end of the show. And he replied, "You can sell whatever you want brotha, and I hope you sell everyone of them." I ask is there any other announcements or anything else you need me to say. He says "Nope, everything’s good man, have a good set." I felt his gesture was honest and heartfelt, it felt good that he understood the hustle. He knew I was trying to grind and make my money and get my product (Me) out there. Friday was amazing and so was Saturday, DVD sells were crazy. People were buying my DVD’s left and right, there was a line for Terry Jones DVD's. It was amazing, it was the perfect show, and my style complimented both of theirs. A lot of people and even staff at the club said, it was the best show they seen in years.

People said it was a perfect fit; it was as if the show was tailor fitted. Sunday night came and the weekend ended, and as they left, Damon Wayans goes "It was nice working with you" and he daps me up. As he leaves he says "I'll see you in LA." I never said I was gonna be in LA, but it was as if he knew my potential and knows I have a chance. And knows that I want to go, and or will make it to LA. It was the best weekend ever, I never been a part of a perfect fitted show. A lot of people are star struck by the fact it was the Damon Wayans. When it comes to a true fan, I’m a huge Damon Wayans fan. He's one of my biggest influences on my funny personality, my sketch and comedy acting.

I don't get super excited about working with big stars. I get excited for the opportunity given, but not the person. I give them space, I stay professional, and I do my job. And that's how you get work, being egotistical will get you no where. I do impressions of his characters; this was the best weekend, even better than when I featured for Eddie Griffin. So it was amazing, and a perfect showcase, it's just a depressing thing at the same time. You do these shows with huge stars and you think what’s next? I work with people I grew up watching a lot, so it just makes me wonder for the future. What is the next thing for my career, only the fates can let that thread be known. Until then, I appreciate your support, and I continue to want you to be able to witness my journey. Oh yeah.............HULK SMASH!!!!!!


Terry Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment